Ottawa Recreation Commission provides activities for all ages. We offer youth sports program scholarships for families with children. This helps reduce financial burdens that may inhibit participation in youth sports.
Participants must reside within USD 290 to be eligible for the youth sports scholarship program and be on the free or reduced lunch program through USD 290. Participants must provide proof of participation in the program in the form of a letter from USD 290. Scholarships may be used for up to 5 programs in a school year (August – July). Scholarships do not cover late fees.
- Participants that qualify for REDUCED LUNCH will receive 50% off a participant’s program fee.
- Participants that qualify for FREE LUNCH will receive 75% off a participant’s program fee.
When to Apply for Scholarship
Applications may be submitted any time during the calendar year. The scholarship year is August – July. A letter from USD 290 documenting that a child is on the free or reduced lunch program is required at the time of application.
How to Apply
- Request a scholarship form from the ORC office (705 W. 15th).
- Complete the form accurately and completely.
- Submit your form, with proof of participation in free and reduced lunch program to the ORC at the Goppert Building.
All scholarship information is confidential and will not be released to outside organizations or individuals.
Programs Not Covered by Scholarship
The following programs are excluded from being covered under the Youth Program Scholarship. Additional programs may be added at the discretion of the Ottawa Recreation Commission.
- Private Swimming Lessons
- Entertainment “U”
- Youth Cheerleading
- Camp Shine
- Kid Camp
- Martial Arts
This is a $500 scholarship available to one full-time Ottawa High School senior. This scholarship is intended to encourage and reward a student’s community service, encourage students to work for Ottawa Recreation Commission, and encourage students to pursue a career in parks and recreation.
- Must be a full-time student in their senior year at Ottawa High School
- Must have been enrolled to attend college in Kansas after graduation
- Preference to students majoring in Parks and Recreation, Physical Education, or Sports Management
- Preference to students with ORC employment or volunteer work experience
Applications are accepted February 1 – April 30 this year. Early or late applications are not accepted. Finalists will be contacted for interviews. Please do not inquire about your status. The winner will be announced at the senior awards ceremony. The winner will be encouraged to gain experience by applying to work for ORC the following summer and/or fall.